Position: Worship and the Arts Musician
Accountability: To the Worship Coordinator and Pastor of Congregational Care
FLSA: Part-Time, Exempt from Overtime (Ten to Fifteen Hour Work Week)
Date: January 2019
Assist The Open Church in bringing glory to God through music, both vocal and instrumental, by encouraging a
diversity of musical/artistic expression that matches the diversity of the congregation. Identify and develop musical
the congregation to help the membership commune with God and each other.
Specific Job Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Worship Coordinator and/or Pastor of Congregational Care, selects music for worship services appropriate to the worship themes and seasons and plays piano/organ at worship services.
- Plays piano/organ at weddings, funerals/memorial services, and other special services of the congregation.
- Assists with the development of technical aspects of worship services (e.g., sound boards, multimedia presentations, CD/DVD recording and editing).
- Establishes and directs choral and instrumental ensembles and congregational choirs.
- Maintains routine rehearsal schedules for ensembles and choirs and conducts the rehearsals.
- Works on a short term basis with small groups of vocalists and instrumentalists for occasional ministry in worship services, as well as gives direction to these groups.
- In collaboration with the Worship Coordinator, oversee the administrative duties of the music ministry, while working closely with the Pastors, Worship Planning Team, Church Administrator and other paid and volunteer persons in the music ministry.
- Maintains the music library.
- Invites, encourages, and equips individuals to become involved in the worship and arts ministries of the congregation.
- During services provide a balanced, sensitive leadership that maximizes the flow of worship. The worship service should be like a seamless tapestry from beginning to end.
- Continually develop and improve her/his own personal skills for use in ministry so that the worship and arts ministry can grow.
- Participates in staff meetings and other leadership and congregational meetings as directed by the Founding Senior Pastor or the Pastoral Team.
Requirements for the Position
- A spiritually mature person who is effective in
culturally diverse contexts.
- A servant-leader who eagerly supports the Founding Senior Pastor and the mission and vision of the congregation.
- A collaborative leader who is able to garner the respect of staff colleagues and congregants.
- Excellent musical and interpersonal skills, outstanding work ethic, and ability to represent the Founding Senior Pastor and The Open Church with integrity, excellence, and finesse.
- A positive attitude and willingness to listen and accept directions when necessary.
- Timeliness in performance of duties.
- A clear understanding of the theological principles of The Open Church and a willingness to develop a diverse musical repertoire.
- Ability to handle delicate and crisis situations with compassion, confidentiality, and tact.
of a resume and cover letter.
Recommended but not required
You may share a recording, video link, YouTube clip, etc. as a demonstration of your work. You may also share a letter of recommendation from a music teacher, coach or former employer.
For priority consideration, please combine all documents into one file using the nomenclature: TOC_WAM_(Your First Name)(Your Last Name), then submit the file via email to email@example.com with the subject line: Application for Worship and Arts Musician.